Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mixin and matchin the masters to the max with Max Tannone

Max Tannone has a particular talent for the mash-up. I ran across one of his remix projects on the internet. I was really impressed so I tracked him down and asked him a few questions.


Where are you from?:
I am from upstate NY but now live in NYC. I actually lived in NYC a long time ago, moved away, and am now back.

How old are you?:
24.

How long have you been doing what you do?:
About 8 years. I began making really basic DJ style blends - learning how to find the tempo of an acapella and matching it to a beat. After this I began making beats. I was heavily into the Neptunes at the time, and used to read through the forums on their message board. This was around 2002 when like 45% of songs on urban radio were produced by them. Anyway, from here I just kept at it making my own tracks.

Its kind of funny because I wasn't really into doing mash-ups or anything when I made Jaydiohead. I was strictly trying to place original beats with artists and was frustrated with the whole process - so I made it out of fun and sort of became known for it. That being said I try to add a lot of my own elements, rather than just a basic "mash-up".

What made you decide to do these remix projects in the first place?:
I guess just experimentation. I remember listening to "I Might Be Wrong" by Radiohead and thinking that it basically was a hip-hop track - and I went from there. "Wrong Prayer" and "Ignorant Swan" sat for like 9 months before I made the other 8 original Jaydiohead tracks. I definitely didn't think people would be really into it.

My Beastie Boys and Mos Dub projects were both challenges. I'm just trying to find interesting ways to put tunes together, while hopefully adding some of my own touches in the process. All of these projects are like tributes to my musical heroes. I hope that doesn't sound corny.


What's next?:
To be honest, I'm not sure. I have to wait until the idea finds me...!
-Max Tannone.



Myspace:
maxtannone

Twitter:
maxtannone

Discogs:
Max+Tannone

Website:
http://jaydiohead.com
http://doublecheckyourhead.com
http://mosdub.com

iLike:
minty+fresh+beats










No comments:

Post a Comment